Health Systems Supply Chain Insights 2021
This report marks the fifth edition of the Health Systems, supply chain insights series by Lorcan Sheehan, PerformanSC and Jamie Kowalski, Jamie C Kowalski Consulting LLC.
The research series which started in 2012, charts the development of health system supply chains with a particular focus on organizations that have implemented a Consolidated Service Center model. Normally, this research would have been carried out in Q2 2020 but we delayed the research by a year to take account of the experience of health systems during the first year of the pandemic.
The scale of requirements on health systems supply chains during the pandemic challenged the current ways of operating. This survey provides direct insights from Health System leaders on the specific challenges they faced and the strategies that they planned to implement to mitigate these risks in the future.
This report marks the fifth edition of the Health Systems Supply Chain Insights series. This survey of health system supply chain leaders began in 2012. Over the last 9 years we have charted the development of health systems supply chains from the perspective of supply chain leaders from leading health systems in the US, Canada and Europe.
Just over 60 health systems in the U.S. and 6 international health systems, were identified and supply chain leaders from these systems were personally invited to participate in the 2023 research report. From this group 23 Health Systems responded to the detailed survey between December 2020 and March 2021 answering 45 questions about the scope and operation of their supply chain model. The questions were grouped under the categories below:
- Health system profile
- Supply chain operations scope
- Value delivered by the supply chain team
- Impact of Covid-19 on supply chains
- Performance of key partners and internal supply chain operations
- Impact of pandemic on future supply chain strategies
- Technology deployed
- CSC impact on capital investment decisions
We expect that the research series will be useful for:
- Health systems supply chain leaders – providing insight into comparable supply chain operations
- Health systems considering investments in or developing a business case for a consolidated service center operation
- Distributors and GPOs to get insights into how they can best service this growing segment of healthcare supply chains
- Technology suppliers to understand the scope and objectives of health systems supply chains
- Automation and hardware suppliers to health systems
- Product suppliers to understand the different priorities and opportunities in dealing directly with health system